Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chicken Bits!


What to do with a whole bunch of trimmings from chicken?


GRIND THAT SHIT UP!!!


yea, nothing you can do to pretty up raw ground chicken.


Having found myself in a position of trimming rib meat and fat from a metric ass-ton of chicken breasts to feed a couple hundred people, I couldn't help but feel that little pit of guilt growing deeper and deeper exponentially as the "waste" pile also grew in size.


"What are we doing with this" - says I, pointing at the sad little tray of chicken bits.


"Tossing it?" - says She Who Was In Charge Of Kitchen


"I can has?" - eyeing the ziplocks and already concocting aforementioned chickenbits destiny.


See this is why I could never work in a professional kitchen, I am sure there are like a zillion health / weird kitchen laws I am breaking here somehow.  Plus I think I would get all neurotic over saving bones and bits and become some sort of freak animal part hoarder with one of those mystery "extra freezers" in the garage.  Because lets face it, I am already too close to that now.


And now that I have scared you all from wanting to eat at my house, ever.  Let us continue.




Ingredients:


1 lb pilfered chicken bits
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
a dozen or so shittake shrooms
2 T sesame oil
1 T Chinese 5 Spice Powder (star anise, cinnamon, cloves, Sichuan pepper, & fennel)


1 T coconut oil (or whatever cooking fat blows yer skirt up)


1 T ground ginger
1/4 C oyster sauce


Some lettuce for serving.


Method:
Throw the first 6 items into a food processor and let it go crazy til the chicken looks like something you would find online labeled "mechanically separated chicken"... which technically, I guess it is... but I do it at home... so that makes it ok.


Heat your oil in a skillet or wok and add the ginger, heating briefly. Then add the chicken and stir fry, til its all cooked through, adding the oyster sauce just at the end, blending it together completely.


Serve with lettuce, or use for some other foodventure. (which I will be doing with the other half we didn't eat last night!)



1 comment:

  1. Love how inventive you are!! You should take pictures of your pantry and post a list of the staples you keep on hand.. Oh how about shopping in your area?? :)

    ReplyDelete