Monday, April 16, 2012

Duck with Gai Lan



Gai lan is without a doubt my favorite vegetable. Why it is near impossible to find in American groceries store is a complete enigma to me. The closest thing that it could possibly be compared to is rapini.... which can not even begin to hold a candle to the sweet tenderness that is gai lan.

Highly nutritious with powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, C, lutein, zeaxathin and is reasonably rich in calcium.

I tend to stir fry it on its own with a bit of oyster sauce and chicken stock, but sometimes I will have leftovers from some of my favorite Chinese joints and will bring home loots like peking duck and crispy skin pork.

Tonight was one such night.

Recipe:
1 large bunch gai lan, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional, we just happened to have them)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 nob raw butter
.25 C chicken stock
2 T Oyster Sauce
Leftover cooked meat such as duck or pork

Method:
Quickly cook and soften the gai lan in the stock until the stalks are tender. This shouldnt take long, as gai lan has a pleasant sweet flavor even when still crisp tender.

Add butter, garlic and meat and stir fry until everything is nice and hot and yummy looking, finish with oyster sauce stirring in completely! :D

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lea,

    Where do you get your Gai lan from?

    - Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sometimes get it at our local produce shop.. but I am lucky that I live in an area that has an abundance of Asian grocers, so there is always an ample supply :)

      Delete
  2. I really like your blog, and I've nominated you for a Leibster Award!

    http://www.greenbasket.me/2012/04/17/my-first-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG really?? Thank you so much!!!! Just the recognition alone has totally made me day!!! :D

      Delete