Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Braised Short Ribs


This flavor is so sweet and tangy its almost BBQ-y.  I've always had an aversion to adding tomato to anything but chili, because I don't know why.  I think this recipe has changed my tune on that.


I served this up with some parboiled brussel sprouts, finished in a pan with crispy bacon.


Ingredients
1 lb short ribs
2 carrots, minced
1 stalk celery minced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 sweet onion, minced
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups red wine
2 strips bacon, chopped


Method
Fry bacon in a deep pot, preferably a French oven. Add veggies and saute until onions become transluscent. Add tomato paste and let it sweat for a few minutes, then fold into the veggies.  Add a bit of wine to deglaze, stirring often, then add the rest of the wine.  Add the short ribs, coating in the mixture, reduce heat and let simmer gently for approx 4 hours, turning the ribs now and then.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment